The deadline for self assessment tax returns is drawing near, its midnight next Wednesday 31 January 2018, so not a lot of time to get your self assessment tax return submitted. If you are late there is an automatic penalty of £100 if your return is up to three months late.
HMRC, around this time of year, release their most amusing excuses for late tax returns and expense claims to entertain us all.
1) I couldn’t file my tax return on time as my wife has been seeing aliens and won’t let me enter the house.
2) I’ve been far to busy touring the country with my one man play.
3) My ex-wife lost my tax return upstairs but I suffer from vertigo and can’t go upstairs to retrieve it.
4) My business doesn’t really do anything.
5) I spilt coffee on it.
HMRC also receives amusing claims for expenses
1) A three piece suite for my partner to sit on when doing my accounts.
2) Birthday drinks at a Glasgow nightclub.
3) Hotel room service for candles and Prosecco.
4) VET fees for a rabbit.
5) £4.50 for sausage and chips meal expenses for 250 days.
If you think you may miss the deadline for your self assessment HMRC encourages you to contact them as if you excuse for a late return is reasonable you may avoid a penalty after the deadline.